
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
CETINJE, MONTENEGRO (Worthy News) – Several people have died in a shooting at a restaurant in Montenegro near the Balkan nation’s historical capital of Cetinje, police said Wednesday.
Local media said a brawl in the afternoon preceded the New Year’s Day shooting, adding that five people were killed. Police did not immediately specify the number of casualties.
However, police said they sent special units to the area and urged people to remain inside their homes.
Montenegro’s Police Directorate added that “all available police units are on the ground, undertaking activities within their jurisdiction” to apprehend the suspect.
The incident comes amid concerns about Montenegro’s deeply rooted gun culture, a phenomenon also seen in several other Balkan nations.
In 2022, 11 people, including two children and a gunman, were killed in a mass shooting in Montenegro, and six others were injured.
Despite strict gun laws, the Western Balkans remain awash with illegal weapons dating back to World War One, according to experts.
Many weapons were also distributed during the Balkan wars of the 1990s, which led to the breakup of Yugoslavia.
Copyright 1999-2025 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Mass protests against Hamas continued in Gaza on Wednesday—following two days of demonstrations last week, marking the most significant unrest in 18 months—as the terror group tortured and killed two protesters, threatened a crackdown, and drew vows of revenge from the victims’ families.
A night raid by suspected Fulani militants in Bokkos County, Nigeria, left 11 Christians dead, including a pregnant woman, her husband, and a 10-year-old girl.
A house church pastor was sentenced to five years in prison, according to a magazine covering religious liberty and human rights in China.
Between Wednesday night and Thursday morning, the Israeli Air Force carried out widespread strikes across Syria, targeting military bases and facilities from the Assad regime era — a move widely seen as a warning to Turkey.
The secretary general of the NATO military alliance on Thursday mourned four American soldiers who were killed during a military exercise in Lithuania.
President Donald Trump and some Republicans were quick to shrug off stock losses Thursday as the market responds to a jolt from Trump’s reciprocal tariffs.
Roughly $1.7 trillion was erased from the S&P 500 Index of the 500 most influential companies at the start of trading at the New York Stock Exchange Thursday amid worries that President Donald J. Trump’s sweeping new round of tariffs could plunge the economy, and much of the world, into a recession.