Kennedy to Cut 10,000 HHS Employees to Reduce ‘Bureaucratic Sprawl’

By Brett Rowland | The Center Square

(Worthy News) – Robert F. Kennedy Jr. announced a significant restructuring of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services on Thursday in a move to streamline the huge federal agency and cut costs.

Kennedy plans to trim about 10,000 employees from the agency’s workforce in addition to employees who left as part of a Deferred Resignation Program, similar to a buy out, earlier this year. The move is expected to save about $1.8 billion.

Kennedy said the restructuring won’t affect the agency’s critical services. When combined with HHS’ other efforts, including early retirement, the changes are expected to reduce the agency’s headcount from 82,000 to 62,000 full-time employees. The restructuring will also align the department with Kennedy’s goals for a healthier U.S. population.

“We aren’t just reducing bureaucratic sprawl. We are realigning the organization with its core mission and our new priorities in reversing the chronic disease epidemic,” Kennedy said. “This Department will do more – a lot more – at a lower cost to the taxpayer.”

Kennedy also said the restructuring of the department’s 28 divisions will get rid of redundant units, consolidating them into “15 new divisions, including a new Administration for a Healthy America, or AHA, and will centralize core functions such as Human Resources, Information Technology, Procurement, External Affairs, and Policy.” Regional offices will be reduced from 10 to 5.

The overhaul will implement the new “HHS priority of ending America’s epidemic of chronic illness by focusing on safe, wholesome food, clean water, and the elimination of environmental toxins. These priorities will be reflected in the reorganization of HHS.”

Kennedy also said the restructuring would improve taxpayers’ experience with HHS by making the agency more responsive and efficient. He also said the changes would ensure that Medicare, Medicaid, and other essential health services remain intact.

The Administration for a Healthy America will combine multiple agencies – the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health, Health Resources and Services Administration, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, and National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health — into a single, unified entity, Kennedy said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will get the Administration for Strategic Preparedness and Response, which is responsible for national disaster and public health emergency response.

“Over time, bureaucracies like HHS become wasteful and inefficient even when most of their staff are dedicated and competent civil servants,” Kennedy said. “This overhaul will be a win-win for taxpayers and for those that HHS serves.”

Among the cuts: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration will shed about 3,500 full-time employees. Officials said the reduction won’t affect drug, medical device, or food reviewers, nor will it impact inspectors. The CDC will drop about 2,400 employees. The National Institutes of Health will cut about 1,200 employees. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services will cut about 300 employees. The reorganization won’t affect Medicare and Medicaid services, officials said.

Reprinted with permission from The Center Square.

Copyright 1999-2025 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

India’s Famed Evangelist Pagadala Found Dead
India’s Famed Evangelist Pagadala Found Dead
Wednesday, April 2, 2025

Pastor Praveen Pagadala, one of India’s most well-known Christian evangelists, has been found dead under alleged suspicious circumstances in the southern state of Andhra Pradesh, Worthy News learned Wednesday. He was 46.

US President Trump Announces Tariffs Of Up To 49 Percent
US President Trump Announces Tariffs Of Up To 49 Percent
Wednesday, April 2, 2025

U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Wednesday he would sign “a historic executive order instituting reciprocal tariffs on countries throughout the world” ranging from 10 percent to 49 percent.

EU Central Bank Warns Of Global Chaos Ahead Of Trump Tariffs Announcement
EU Central Bank Warns Of Global Chaos Ahead Of Trump Tariffs Announcement
Wednesday, April 2, 2025

European Central Bank head Christine Lagarde warned Wednesday that U.S. President Donald Trump’s planned tariffs will have a negative impact worldwide, with the damage depending on how far they go, how long they last, and whether they lead to successful negotiations.

FBI Gagged Hunter Laptop Story as Facebook Suppressed It to Appease Biden Admin, Messages Reveal
FBI Gagged Hunter Laptop Story as Facebook Suppressed It to Appease Biden Admin, Messages Reveal
Wednesday, April 2, 2025

The FBI ordered agents to stop discussing Hunter Biden’s laptop just hours after one of its own inadvertently confirmed its authenticity to Twitter, internal messages show. Ahead of The Post’s 2020 reports, the FBI had warned tech giants of a potential Russian disinformation dump resembling the laptop contents. Once the story broke, Facebook execs weighed censorship strategies to align with the expected Biden-Harris administration, according to a congressional investigation.

Israel Expands Gaza Offensive to Crush Terror Networks and Secure Strategic Zones
Israel Expands Gaza Offensive to Crush Terror Networks and Secure Strategic Zones
Wednesday, April 2, 2025

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz announced Wednesday that Israel is expanding its Gaza operations after heavy overnight strikes, with troops set to clear terrorists and infrastructure and seize territory for expanded security zones.

B-2 Stealth Bomber Presence Grows at U.S. Base Within Range of Iran, Yemen
B-2 Stealth Bomber Presence Grows at U.S. Base Within Range of Iran, Yemen
Wednesday, April 2, 2025

At least six nuclear-capable B-2 Spirit stealth bombers have been seen at Camp Thunder Bay on Diego Garcia, a remote U.S. base in the Indian Ocean according to satellite imagery analyzed on Wednesday by the Associated Press.

Russia Warns US Attack on Iranian Nuclear Sites Would Be ‘Catastrophic’ for Region
Russia Warns US Attack on Iranian Nuclear Sites Would Be ‘Catastrophic’ for Region
Wednesday, April 2, 2025

Russia’s Deputy Foreign Minister issued a strong warning to the United States, cautioning that any military strike on Iran’s nuclear facilities would lead to “catastrophic” consequences for the entire region after President Donald Trump threatened the “bombing the likes they have never seen before.”