
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
TEHRAN (Worthy News) – Iran threatened Friday to launch a regional war and suggested it could build an atomic bomb if its nuclear sites are attacked by Israel or the Jewish nation’s allies, such as the United States.
Iran’s Foreign Minister, Abbas Araqchi, reportedly said that “Iran has the ability to build a nuclear weapon, but we choose not to do so” after similar remarks by an adviser of Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei
Late last year, Kamal Kharrazi, the Khamenei adviser, said Iran has the capacity to produce nuclear weapons and is prepared to change its policies on using them if faced with an “existential threat.”
Speaking in an interview with Qatar-based Al Jazeera television that aired Friday, Araqchi warned that “if the U.S. intends to attack Iran’s nuclear program, it will be their biggest mistake in history, and we will certainly respond. They know where we can target them.”
He stressed that Iran would respond immediately and decisively if its nuclear sites were attacked, which would lead to an “all-out war in the region.”
BROADER CONCERNS
He spoke amid concern among Iran’s top Islamic decision-makers that U.S. President Donald J. Trump will enable Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to strike Iran’s nuclear sites while further tightening U.S. sanctions on Tehran’s oil industry.
The previous Biden administration had urged Israel not to attack Iran’s nuclear sites, citing concerns about the prospect of broader instability in the Middle East.
Analysts say, however, that these worries, coupled with mounting anger within Iran over economic conditions, could drive Tehran toward negotiations with the Trump administration over the fate of its fast-advancing nuclear program.
Earlier this month, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian denied suggestions that his Islamic Republic plotted to kill then-President-elect Trump after two previous attempts on his life in 2024.
Pezeshkian also insisted that Iran’s nuclear program was still “peaceful” but warned Trump against risking “war.”
Copyright 1999-2025 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Millions of Americans faced more hardships Saturday as a new round of torrential rain and flash flooding hit parts of the South and Midwest, where numerous people had already died.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s hometown plunged into mourning Saturday after at least 19 people reportedly died and scores were injured in Russian missile and drone strikes over the weekend.
More stock market investors ran for the exit Friday, further erasing trillions in stock value, after China announced 34 percent across-the-board tariffs on imports from the United States.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu made clear Friday that a strong army backed by a strong economy was key to the survival of the Jewish nation and peace.
Thousands of protesters cheered in Seoul Friday as they watched a broadcast announcing that South Korea’s top court voted unanimously to dismiss the country’s impeached president, Yoon Suk Yeol.
The Pentagon’s acting inspector general announced Thursday that he would review U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth’s use of the Signal messaging application to convey potentially classified plans for a military strike against Houthi militants in Yemen.
U.S. President Donald J. Trump said Thursday that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu may visit the United States next week.