Hit-And-Run Attack Kills 35 In Southern China

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

BEIJING (Worthy News) – China’s President Xi Jinping on Tuesday expressed outrage over a hit-and-run attack that killed at least 35 people at a sports center in the southern Chinese city of Zhuhai.

A further 43 were severely injured in Monday’s incident, local police said.

That attack came while the city began hosting China’s biggest annual air show this week, where a new stealth jet fighter will be on display for the first time.

Witnesses said the incident happened at 7:48 p.m. local time Monday when a small off-road vehicle was driven into a large group of people exercising outside the sports center.

Footage showed people attending to the injured and persons lying on the ground.

Zhuhai police said in a statement on Tuesday that the suspect, a 62-year-old man surnamed Fan, was being treated at a hospital after hurting himself with a knife in his car.

He was reportedly motivated by discontent about a divorce settlement.

TRAGEDY EXTENSIVE

As the extent of the tragedy became clear, Xi ordered “all-out efforts” to treat victims and demanded a “severe punishment” for the perpetrator.

Zhuhai police said in a statement on Tuesday that the suspect, a 62-year-old man surnamed Fan, was being treated at a hospital after hurting himself with a knife in his car.

The latest incident highlighted concerns about a reported rise in reports of knife attacks in large cities despite strict laws in the Communist-run nation.

In October, a man was detained after he allegedly attacked children with a knife at a school in Beijing, injuring five people.

Also, in September, three people were reportedly killed in a knife attack in a Shanghai supermarket, and another 15 were injured.

Police said at the time that the suspect had personal financial disputes and came to Shanghai to “vent his anger.”

In May, two people were killed and 21 injured in a knife attack in a hospital in Yunnan province, police said.

Copyright 1999-2025 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

‘Hamas Out!’ Gaza Protests Grow as Terrorist Group Threatens Demonstrators
‘Hamas Out!’ Gaza Protests Grow as Terrorist Group Threatens Demonstrators
Thursday, April 3, 2025

Mass protests against Hamas continued in Gaza on Wednesday—following two days of demonstrations last week, marking the most significant unrest in 18 months—as the terror group tortured and killed two protesters, threatened a crackdown, and drew vows of revenge from the victims’ families.

11 Killed in Night Attack on Christian Farming Community in Nigeria
11 Killed in Night Attack on Christian Farming Community in Nigeria
Thursday, April 3, 2025

A night raid by suspected Fulani militants in Bokkos County, Nigeria, left 11 Christians dead, including a pregnant woman, her husband, and a 10-year-old girl.

Pastor in China Sentenced to 5 Years in Jail
Pastor in China Sentenced to 5 Years in Jail
Thursday, April 3, 2025

A house church pastor was sentenced to five years in prison, according to a magazine covering religious liberty and human rights in China.

Israel Strikes Military Targets Across Syria in Bold Warning to Turkey
Israel Strikes Military Targets Across Syria in Bold Warning to Turkey
Thursday, April 3, 2025

Between Wednesday night and Thursday morning, the Israeli Air Force carried out widespread strikes across Syria, targeting military bases and facilities from the Assad regime era — a move widely seen as a warning to Turkey.

NATO Mourns 4 US Troops Killed In Lithuania
NATO Mourns 4 US Troops Killed In Lithuania
Thursday, April 3, 2025

The secretary general of the NATO military alliance on Thursday mourned four American soldiers who were killed during a military exercise in Lithuania.

Trump, Republicans Shrug as Stocks Plummet After Tariffs
Trump, Republicans Shrug as Stocks Plummet After Tariffs
Thursday, April 3, 2025

President Donald Trump and some Republicans were quick to shrug off stock losses Thursday as the market responds to a jolt from Trump’s reciprocal tariffs.

Nearly 2 Trillion Erased In Stocks Within Minutes Over Trump Tariffs
Nearly 2 Trillion Erased In Stocks Within Minutes Over Trump Tariffs
Thursday, April 3, 2025

Roughly $1.7 trillion was erased from the S&P 500 Index of the 500 most influential companies at the start of trading at the New York Stock Exchange Thursday amid worries that President Donald J. Trump’s sweeping new round of tariffs could plunge the economy, and much of the world, into a recession.