
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
AMSTERDAM/BERLIN/BUDAPEST (Worthy News) – Germany’s top prosecutor has charged an alleged Islamic extremist with “murder, attempted murder and membership in a terrorist organization abroad” following a deadly knife attack last year at a festival in the western German city of Solingen.
The August 24 violence left three dead and 10 wounded at a festival marking the city’s 650th anniversary.
News about the case came as neighboring Netherlands is reeling from deadly knife attacks.
Investigators said a 29-year-old man has been arrested following the fatal stabbing of an 11-year-old girl in the Dutch central city of Nieuwegein.
Police confirmed the man had Dutch and Moroccan nationality, fueling anger within the country’s largest anti-Islam Partij Party for Freedom.
Party leader Geert Wilders said this multicultural violence would destroy the “Netherlands,” prompting an angry response from opposition party Denk (“Think”), who accused him of spreading hatred.
SILENT MARCH
On Saturday, at a massive silent march, mourners remembered 13-year-old Joni from the Dutch city of Schiedam, who was also fatally stabbed.
Joni took his last breath last Sunday after being attacked by another teenager whose details have not been released.
Yet the stabbings, including those carried out by extreme Muslims, have added to a sense of insecurity among Europeans.
Authorities in the Netherlands warned of possible Islamic attacks during massive carnival events and a festival in the port city of Rotterdam.
Back in Germany, prosecutors said the alleged perpetrator shared the “radical ideology of the Islamic State extremist group.”
Wilders and others say many more attacks are possible as extremists are among the millions of mainly Muslim migrants feeling war, persecution, and poverty.
Copyright 1999-2025 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
As the Israeli prime minister visited the nation, Hungary announced Thursday that it would withdraw from the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague.
Mass protests against Hamas continued in Gaza on Wednesday—following two days of demonstrations last week, marking the most significant unrest in 18 months—as the terror group tortured and killed two protesters, threatened a crackdown, and drew vows of revenge from the victims’ families.
A night raid by suspected Fulani militants in Bokkos County, Nigeria, left 11 Christians dead, including a pregnant woman, her husband, and a 10-year-old girl.
A house church pastor was sentenced to five years in prison, according to a magazine covering religious liberty and human rights in China.
Between Wednesday night and Thursday morning, the Israeli Air Force carried out widespread strikes across Syria, targeting military bases and facilities from the Assad regime era — a move widely seen as a warning to Turkey.
The secretary general of the NATO military alliance on Thursday mourned four American soldiers who were killed during a military exercise in Lithuania.
President Donald Trump and some Republicans were quick to shrug off stock losses Thursday as the market responds to a jolt from Trump’s reciprocal tariffs.