
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
THE HAGUE, NETHERLANDS (Worthy News) – At least five people died, and four others were injured in explosions rocking a block of flats in the Dutch city of The Hague, and local authorities did not rule out a deliberate attack.
Firefighters and special rescue teams with dogs rushed to the burning three-story building in the Tarwekamp area following the blasts that caused the collapse of several homes.
Amid a frantic search for survivors, Dutch police said a car drove away “at very high speed” shortly after the explosions and appealed for witnesses.
The Hague’s Mayor, Jan van Zanen, said the number of people still missing is unknown.
Van Zanen, who visited the scene, said the chance of survivors being pulled from the rubble was slim and urged residents to prepare for a “worst-case scenario.”
It was thought up to 20 people may have been in the flats at the time of the blast, but the mayor refused to confirm those figures.
Dutch King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima expressed their sorrow in a statement: “We sympathize with all those who have been personally affected or who fear for the fate of their loved ones.”
PULLING BODIES
The Dutch fire service said five bodies had been pulled from the rubble. Four others were hospitalized – one of whom had since died, it said.
It added that another person was treated by the ambulance service before being taken to a shelter, bringing the total number of victims to 10.
Witnesses said at least five flats were destroyed in the explosion.
Survivors appeared in shock at what they saw. Fourteen-year-old Adam Muller said the explosion “felt like an earthquake.”
“I was asleep, and suddenly, there were these huge bangs. I looked out of the window and just saw flames. It’s a massive shock,” he added.
The national police commissioner in the Netherlands, Janny Knol, shared those sentiments: “There is disbelief and uncertainty in the community.”
Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
TrumpRx is expanding to about seven times its current size, adding more than 600 generic prescription drugs to the months-old direct-to-consumer government website, the president said Monday.
Pakistan has deployed about 8,000 troops, a squadron of fighter jets, drones, and an air defense system to Saudi Arabia under a confidential mutual defense pact, according to an exclusive Reuters report.
President Donald Trump said Monday that he has called off a planned U.S. military strike against Iran that had been scheduled for Tuesday, citing urgent requests from Gulf leaders and what he described as “serious negotiations” aimed at reaching a deal with Tehran.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday that Israeli forces now control roughly 60% of the Gaza Strip, marking a significant expansion of Israel’s security hold inside the enclave months after the U.S.-brokered ceasefire took effect.
Israeli forces struck more than 30 Hezbollah terrorist infrastructure sites across Southern Lebanon over the past 24 hours, the Israel Defense Forces said Monday morning, as the Iranian-backed group continued attacks on Israeli troops and border communities.
The United States has completed a secret nuclear security mission to remove roughly 30 pounds of highly enriched uranium from Venezuela, transferring the material from the country’s shuttered RV-1 research reactor to a secure U.S. facility in South Carolina.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke with President Donald Trump on Sunday evening as Israel and the United States weighed the possibility of renewed military action against Iran, following stalled nuclear negotiations and a drone strike near a nuclear power station in the United Arab Emirates.