Biden-Trump Standoff Over Offshore Drilling

By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News

WASHINGTON (Worthy News) – A standoff emerged Tuesday between outgoing President Joe Biden and his incoming successor, Donald J. Trump, over his plans to expand offshore drilling.

Trump, whose “drill, baby, drill” mantra has energized the fossil fuel industry, condemned Biden for moving to ban new offshore oil and natural gas drilling in most U.S. coastal waters.

It was seen as a last-minute effort to prevent the incoming Trump from taking action.

Biden, whose term expires in two weeks, said he is using authority under the federal Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act to protect offshore areas along the East and West coasts, the eastern Gulf of Mexico, and portions of Alaska’s Northern Bering Sea from future oil and natural gas leasing.

“My decision reflects what coastal communities, businesses, and beachgoers have known for a long time: that drilling off these coasts could cause irreversible damage to places we hold dear and is unnecessary to meet our nation’s energy needs,” Biden said in a statement.

“As the climate crisis continues to threaten communities across the country and we are transitioning to a clean energy economy, now is the time to protect these coasts for our children and grandchildren,” he stressed.

Biden’s orders would not affect large swaths of the Gulf of Mexico, where most U.S. offshore drilling occurs. Still, it would protect coastlines along California, Florida, and other states from future drilling.

BAN ‘RIDICULOUS’

However, in a radio interview, Trump branded the ban “ridiculous”.

“I’ll unban it immediately,” he pledged. “I have the right to unban it immediately.”

Trump has previously said he will reverse Biden’s conservation and climate change policies, arguing that the United States has been taken advantage of by heavy carbon dioxide, or CO2, emitting countries like China.

Yet analysts say Biden’s actions, which protect more than 625 million acres of federal waters, could be complex for President-elect Donald Trump to unwind since they would likely require an act of the United States Congress to repeal.

Trump himself has a complicated history of offshore drilling. In 2020, he signed a memorandum directing the Interior Secretary to prohibit drilling in the waters off both Florida coasts and off the coasts of Georgia and South Carolina until 2032.

The action came after Trump initially moved to vastly expand offshore drilling before retreating amid widespread opposition in Florida and other coastal states. Biden’s ban covers the Atlantic coast and eastern Gulf of Mexico, the Pacific coast of California, Oregon, and Washington, and a section of the Bering Sea off Alaska.

It is the latest in a string of last-minute climate policy actions by the Biden administration ahead of Donald Trump’s return to the White House.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

Putin Arrives in Beijing as Russia and China Push ‘Multipolar’ Challenge to West
Putin Arrives in Beijing as Russia and China Push ‘Multipolar’ Challenge to West
Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Russian President Vladimir Putin arrived in Beijing late Tuesday for high-level talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping, as Moscow and Beijing prepare to advance a joint statement promoting what they call a “multipolar” world order.

U.S. House Defies Senate, Weakens Private Equity Restrictions In Housing Bill
U.S. House Defies Senate, Weakens Private Equity Restrictions In Housing Bill
Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Despite the White House publicly urging the Republican-controlled House of Representatives to approve the U.S. Senate’s bipartisan housing bill, House lawmakers have put forth their own version of the bill that strips provisions reining in private equity.

Trump Gives Iran ‘Limited’ Window for Deal as Tehran’s Demands Remain Largely Unchanged
Trump Gives Iran ‘Limited’ Window for Deal as Tehran’s Demands Remain Largely Unchanged
Tuesday, May 19, 2026

President Donald Trump has given Iran only a “limited period of time” to present an acceptable peace proposal after calling off planned U.S. strikes, even as the Wall Street Journal reported that Tehran’s negotiating position remains largely unchanged from earlier failed talks.

Khamenei Invokes Jihad Rhetoric Against U.S., Israel as Iran Internet Blackout Deepens
Khamenei Invokes Jihad Rhetoric Against U.S., Israel as Iran Internet Blackout Deepens
Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Iran’s Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei used a series of posts on X Tuesday to describe Tehran’s war with the United States and Israel in terms one counterterrorism analyst called “jihad — sacred religious war,” even as ordinary Iranians remain largely cut off from the internet since the war began.

Israel Braces for Possible Renewed War With Iran as Trump Warns Tehran: ‘Clock Is Ticking’
Israel Braces for Possible Renewed War With Iran as Trump Warns Tehran: ‘Clock Is Ticking’
Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Israeli leaders are preparing for the possibility that war with Iran could resume within days, as Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu convened a second limited security cabinet meeting in 24 hours amid growing coordination with Washington.

IEA Warns Oil Inventories Are Falling Rapidly as Iran War Shuts Strait of Hormuz
IEA Warns Oil Inventories Are Falling Rapidly as Iran War Shuts Strait of Hormuz
Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Global oil inventories are being drained at an alarming pace as the Iran war and the closure of the Strait of Hormuz continue to disrupt energy markets, International Energy Agency chief Fatih Birol warned Monday.

IDF Reports 60% of Terror Infrastructure Destroyed in Southern Lebanon
IDF Reports 60% of Terror Infrastructure Destroyed in Southern Lebanon
Tuesday, May 19, 2026

The Israel Defense Forces has destroyed roughly 60% of Hezbollah terror infrastructure in Lebanese villages where Israeli forces are operating in southern Lebanon, a senior Northern Command officer told Walla on Monday.