
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
WASHINGTON/MOSCOW/BUDAPEST (Worthy News) – The United States said Friday that it has evidence suggesting Russian air defense systems may have shot down the Azerbaijan Airlines plane that crashed in Kazakhstan this week.
National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said the evidence went beyond circulated images of the damaged aircraft. “We have seen some early indications that would certainly point to the possibility that this jet was brought down by Russian air defense systems,” he added.
The White House announced that Washington offered its assistance in investigating the incident. “An investigation is currently underway involving Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan,” Kirby said. “We have offered our assistance with that investigation, should they need it.”
The Azerbaijani government suggested that the plane was shot down. “The investigation will determine what type of weapon caused the external impact,” explained Azerbaijan’s Minister of Transport, Rashad Nabiyev, in published remarks. The crash on Wednesday claimed the lives of 38 of the 67 passengers onboard.
Experts believe the damage to the wreckage indicates that the Azerbaijan Airlines plane was struck from the outside. Moscow said it wants to await the investigation’s outcome.
Survivors of the crash in Kazakhstan also reported hearing explosions before the aircraft went down. “Witnesses stated they heard the sound of an explosion outside, followed by the plane being hit by something,” said Nabiyev, without specifying who might have fired the weapon.
At the time of the crash on Christmas Day morning, Ukrainian drones were reportedly targeting the region where the plane was scheduled to land.
The investigation is closely followed in the Netherlands, where many lives were devastated when Russian-backed forces shot down a scheduled passenger flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur in July 2014, officials said
All 283 passengers, most of them Dutch citizens, and 15 crew were killed. Contact with the aircraft, a Boeing 777-200ER, was lost when it was about 50 kilometers (31 miles) from the Ukraine–Russia border.
The shoot-down of flight MH17 occurred during the war in Ukraine’s eastern Donbas region over territory controlled by Russian separatist forces.
Copyright 1999-2025 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Mass protests against Hamas continued in Gaza on Wednesday—following two days of demonstrations last week, marking the most significant unrest in 18 months—as the terror group tortured and killed two protesters, threatened a crackdown, and drew vows of revenge from the victims’ families.
A night raid by suspected Fulani militants in Bokkos County, Nigeria, left 11 Christians dead, including a pregnant woman, her husband, and a 10-year-old girl.
A house church pastor was sentenced to five years in prison, according to a magazine covering religious liberty and human rights in China.
Between Wednesday night and Thursday morning, the Israeli Air Force carried out widespread strikes across Syria, targeting military bases and facilities from the Assad regime era — a move widely seen as a warning to Turkey.
The secretary general of the NATO military alliance on Thursday mourned four American soldiers who were killed during a military exercise in Lithuania.
President Donald Trump and some Republicans were quick to shrug off stock losses Thursday as the market responds to a jolt from Trump’s reciprocal tariffs.
Roughly $1.7 trillion was erased from the S&P 500 Index of the 500 most influential companies at the start of trading at the New York Stock Exchange Thursday amid worries that President Donald J. Trump’s sweeping new round of tariffs could plunge the economy, and much of the world, into a recession.