
by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent
(Worthy News) – The United States Supreme Court is soon to hear a case challenging a Tennessee law that prohibits sex-change treatments for minors, CBN News reports. The Republican-led Tennessee legislature last year passed the law that bans minors from receiving hormone therapy, puberty blockers, and sex-change surgery.
Brought by the Biden administration’s Justice Department together with a Nashville trans-identifying teenager, his parents, and the ACLU, the case known as ‘United States vs. Skrmetti’ will be heard by the Supreme Court justices next month.
Explaining the reasons for the legal challenge, ACLU attorney Chase Stangio said in a statement: “If the court can announce that we are not protected under the Constitution, it can and will do that for everyone. The movements that are targeting trans people currently are pushing the false narrative that it is harmful to be trans.”
However, many experts internationally have expressed severe concerns about the impact of such drastic and often irreversible treatments for minors especially.
“We know based on research, based on clinical practice, based on growing international consensus, that these interventions for minors are not based on any credible evidence that the benefits outweigh the risks. There are a growing number of teenagers and young adults who say that they have been harmed,” Dr. Leor Sapir of the Manhattan Institute said in a statement to CBN News.
“[The Biden administration] eliminated age minimums from their standard of care recommendations under pressure from Dr. Rachel Levine, the Assistant Secretary for Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services,” Sapir said.
“Puberty blockers are associated with risks such as cognitive impairment, bone density problems, brittle bones, sexual dysfunction, and of course sterility when they’re coupled with cross-sex hormones, lifelong sterility, so there are serious risks that come from these interventions. And I haven’t even gotten into the surgery issue, so, it’s perfectly reasonable. In fact, it’s completely justified for states to say, this is an ongoing uncontrolled medical experiment on children, and we’re going to regulate it.”
“We’re going to make sure that kids have the ability to understand what they’re getting themselves into before they can possibly give consent to these treatments,” Sapir attested.
Copyright 1999-2025 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Mass protests against Hamas continued in Gaza on Wednesday—following two days of demonstrations last week, marking the most significant unrest in 18 months—as the terror group tortured and killed two protesters, threatened a crackdown, and drew vows of revenge from the victims’ families.
A night raid by suspected Fulani militants in Bokkos County, Nigeria, left 11 Christians dead, including a pregnant woman, her husband, and a 10-year-old girl.
A house church pastor was sentenced to five years in prison, according to a magazine covering religious liberty and human rights in China.
Between Wednesday night and Thursday morning, the Israeli Air Force carried out widespread strikes across Syria, targeting military bases and facilities from the Assad regime era — a move widely seen as a warning to Turkey.
The secretary general of the NATO military alliance on Thursday mourned four American soldiers who were killed during a military exercise in Lithuania.
President Donald Trump and some Republicans were quick to shrug off stock losses Thursday as the market responds to a jolt from Trump’s reciprocal tariffs.
Roughly $1.7 trillion was erased from the S&P 500 Index of the 500 most influential companies at the start of trading at the New York Stock Exchange Thursday amid worries that President Donald J. Trump’s sweeping new round of tariffs could plunge the economy, and much of the world, into a recession.