Ohio’s Bathroom Bill Easily Clears Senate

By J.D. Davidson | The Center Square

(Worthy News) – The Ohio Senate passed legislation Wednesday afternoon that would ban transgender students from using restroom facilities that align with their gender identity and multi-sex bathrooms at schools across the state.

The bathroom ban easily passed the Republican majority Senate during the lame duck session 24-7 and now goes to Gov. Mike DeWine.

It requires all state K-12 schools and colleges to mandate that students can only use a bathroom or locker room that aligns with their gender at birth. It also prohibits schools from having bathrooms for both sexes.

“This gets back to the transgender discussion. We as a Legislature need to set overall parameters,” said Sen. Andrew Brenner, R-Delaware. “We have separate bathrooms, but we also have family bathrooms that can still be used. We have had for generations separate locker rooms for men and women, and it is about the well-being of the students. That’s what this is about. It’s about safety.”

Originally House Bill 183, the bathroom ban bill became part of Senate Bill 104 on the House floor, which was passed before lawmakers recessed earlier this summer. SB104 originally made changes to the Ohio College Credit Plus program.

Sen. Minority Leader Nickie Antonio, D-Lakewood, said the bill is destined for litigation and the Senate could have used its first day back in session better.

“There is a whole lot of other stuff we could be working on right now, but this is the one. Is this really what we need to be spending our time doing?” Antonio said on the Senate floor. “It’s not really about the bathrooms. It’s about demonizing people. We are telling our children there are people who are less than. They are not the same. They are not allowed to behave like the rest of us. That is a terrible bill.”

Reprinted with permission from The Center Square.

Copyright 1999-2025 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

‘Hamas Out!’ Gaza Protests Grow as Terrorist Group Threatens Demonstrators
‘Hamas Out!’ Gaza Protests Grow as Terrorist Group Threatens Demonstrators
Thursday, April 3, 2025

Mass protests against Hamas continued in Gaza on Wednesday—following two days of demonstrations last week, marking the most significant unrest in 18 months—as the terror group tortured and killed two protesters, threatened a crackdown, and drew vows of revenge from the victims’ families.

11 Killed in Night Attack on Christian Farming Community in Nigeria
11 Killed in Night Attack on Christian Farming Community in Nigeria
Thursday, April 3, 2025

A night raid by suspected Fulani militants in Bokkos County, Nigeria, left 11 Christians dead, including a pregnant woman, her husband, and a 10-year-old girl.

Pastor in China Sentenced to 5 Years in Jail
Pastor in China Sentenced to 5 Years in Jail
Thursday, April 3, 2025

A house church pastor was sentenced to five years in prison, according to a magazine covering religious liberty and human rights in China.

Israel Strikes Military Targets Across Syria in Bold Warning to Turkey
Israel Strikes Military Targets Across Syria in Bold Warning to Turkey
Thursday, April 3, 2025

Between Wednesday night and Thursday morning, the Israeli Air Force carried out widespread strikes across Syria, targeting military bases and facilities from the Assad regime era — a move widely seen as a warning to Turkey.

NATO Mourns 4 US Troops Killed In Lithuania
NATO Mourns 4 US Troops Killed In Lithuania
Thursday, April 3, 2025

The secretary general of the NATO military alliance on Thursday mourned four American soldiers who were killed during a military exercise in Lithuania.

Trump, Republicans Shrug as Stocks Plummet After Tariffs
Trump, Republicans Shrug as Stocks Plummet After Tariffs
Thursday, April 3, 2025

President Donald Trump and some Republicans were quick to shrug off stock losses Thursday as the market responds to a jolt from Trump’s reciprocal tariffs.

Nearly 2 Trillion Erased In Stocks Within Minutes Over Trump Tariffs
Nearly 2 Trillion Erased In Stocks Within Minutes Over Trump Tariffs
Thursday, April 3, 2025

Roughly $1.7 trillion was erased from the S&P 500 Index of the 500 most influential companies at the start of trading at the New York Stock Exchange Thursday amid worries that President Donald J. Trump’s sweeping new round of tariffs could plunge the economy, and much of the world, into a recession.