
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent Worthy News
WASHINGTON (Worthy News) – U.S. billionaire Bill Gates, whose foundation supports the development of vaccines, has warned of a new global pandemic that could wipe out more than 10 percent of the world’s population of over 8 billion people.
“The [recent] COVID-19 pandemic killed 1 percent, that’s millions of people. The next one can kill greater than 10 percent,” more than 800 million people, he told prominent journalist Katie Couric in a live-streamed interview at the famed Strand Bookstore in New York City.
“We should be prepared for the next pandemic; the next pandemic could be far worse,” Gates stressed in remarks reviewed by Worthy News on Wednesday.
His Gates Foundation backed the rollout of COVID-19 vaccines, which critics claim have, at least in some cases, caused more harm than good.
However, Gates told Couric, “The [COVID-19] vaccine saved millions of lives. [U.S.] President [Donald J.] Trump was the one that accelerated the availability of that vaccine.”
Trump previously dismissed claims that COVID-19 vaccines are broadly unsafe while asserting that his role in the development of the jabs may have “saved 100 million lives.”
MILLIONS IMPACTED
Gates, 69, made clear that he hopes the current Trump administration would not abandon the world’s most vulnerable people
There is concern within the Gates Foundation that Trump’s recent freeze on foreign aid halted funding for HIV/AIDS disease programs, potentially impacting the health of over 20 million people, including 500,000 children.
Although subsequent waivers from the U.S. State Department reportedly enabled some work to continue, funding and legal approvals remain stalled.
Gates and Couric suggested that without treatment, “millions” face severe illness or premature death and threaten to undo “years of progress” against HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, a potentially deadly disease.
They fear it could potentially foster drug-resistant strains – “an outcome with global repercussions,” including in the United States.
Trump said that the winding down of the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) targets non-essential “woke” programs and that necessary aid will eventually continue.
Copyright 1999-2025 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Pastor Praveen Pagadala, one of India’s most well-known Christian evangelists, has been found dead under alleged suspicious circumstances in the southern state of Andhra Pradesh, Worthy News learned Wednesday. He was 46.
U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Wednesday he would sign “a historic executive order instituting reciprocal tariffs on countries throughout the world” ranging from 10 percent to 49 percent.
European Central Bank head Christine Lagarde warned Wednesday that U.S. President Donald Trump’s planned tariffs will have a negative impact worldwide, with the damage depending on how far they go, how long they last, and whether they lead to successful negotiations.
The FBI ordered agents to stop discussing Hunter Biden’s laptop just hours after one of its own inadvertently confirmed its authenticity to Twitter, internal messages show. Ahead of The Post’s 2020 reports, the FBI had warned tech giants of a potential Russian disinformation dump resembling the laptop contents. Once the story broke, Facebook execs weighed censorship strategies to align with the expected Biden-Harris administration, according to a congressional investigation.
Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz announced Wednesday that Israel is expanding its Gaza operations after heavy overnight strikes, with troops set to clear terrorists and infrastructure and seize territory for expanded security zones.
At least six nuclear-capable B-2 Spirit stealth bombers have been seen at Camp Thunder Bay on Diego Garcia, a remote U.S. base in the Indian Ocean according to satellite imagery analyzed on Wednesday by the Associated Press.
Russia’s Deputy Foreign Minister issued a strong warning to the United States, cautioning that any military strike on Iran’s nuclear facilities would lead to “catastrophic” consequences for the entire region after President Donald Trump threatened the “bombing the likes they have never seen before.”