Egypt: Archaeologists Uncover Ancient Sword Connected to Moses’ Pharaoh Ramesses II

by Karen Faulkner, Worthy News Correspondent

(Worthy News) – Archaeologists in Egypt have uncovered an ancient sword engraved with a hieroglyphic representing the royal rule of Ramesses II, the Pharoah recorded in the Biblical Book of Exodus as having refused Moses’ request to let the enslaved Israelites go, Archaeology News (AN) reports.

Pharoah Ramesses II ruled Egypt from 1279 to 1213 BC. Known as Ramesses the Great, the Biblical Pharoah was renowned for conducting 15 successful military campaigns and for building cities, temples, and monuments.

Led by Ahmed El Kharadly from Egypt’s Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities, the excavation uncovered the ancient bronze sword among the ruins of a 3,200-year-old military fort at the Tell Al-Abqain excavation site in the northwest Nile Delta, AN reports.

Two limestone blocks discovered at the site also referenced Ramesses II. “One of the blocks bore the name of Ramesses II, while the other mentioned an official named Bay, a figure who rose to prominence during the reign of Seti II, Ramesses’ successor,” AN said in its report. “These inscriptions provide additional historical context for the barracks’ role during a period of external threats, particularly from the West.”

The excavation further uncovered mudbrick barracks and storerooms that were used to keep grain as well as ovens and pottery containing the remains of animals, including fish and cows, AN reports.

Copyright 1999-2026 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.

More Worthy News

Federal Court Blocks Texas Border Security Law, Abbott To Appeal
Federal Court Blocks Texas Border Security Law, Abbott To Appeal
Sunday, May 17, 2026

After the Fifth Circuit last month allowed Texas’ border security law, SB 4, to go into effect, another federal court has now blocked four of its provisions.

U.S. Announces 45-Day Extension of Lebanon Ceasefire as Hezbollah Fighting Continues Along Israel’s Northern Border
U.S. Announces 45-Day Extension of Lebanon Ceasefire as Hezbollah Fighting Continues Along Israel’s Northern Border
Sunday, May 17, 2026

Israel and Lebanon have agreed to extend their ceasefire by 45 days as the United States pushes forward with a broader diplomatic framework aimed at securing the volatile northern border and preventing renewed conflict with Hezbollah.

Rubio Says He Would Back JD Vance in 2028, Keeps Focus on State Department Role
Rubio Says He Would Back JD Vance in 2028, Keeps Focus on State Department Role
Sunday, May 17, 2026

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said he would be “the first person” to support Vice President JD Vance if Vance seeks the Republican presidential nomination in 2028, even as early polling continues to place both men among the leading names in the GOP’s post-Trump future.

Ukraine Launches Major Drone Barrage On Russia, Killing At Least Four
Ukraine Launches Major Drone Barrage On Russia, Killing At Least Four
Sunday, May 17, 2026

Ukraine launched one of its largest drone barrages of the war against Russia overnight, killing at least four people — including three near Moscow — and wounding more than a dozen others, officials said Sunday.

US, Nigeria Say Senior Islamic State Leader Killed In Joint Operation
US, Nigeria Say Senior Islamic State Leader Killed In Joint Operation
Sunday, May 17, 2026

Nigeria and the United States confirmed Saturday that they had killed a senior Islamic State group leader during what officials described as a major joint counterterrorism operation in northeastern Nigeria.

Bulgaria Wins Eurovision; Israel Finishes Second Amid Boycotts
Bulgaria Wins Eurovision; Israel Finishes Second Amid Boycotts
Sunday, May 17, 2026

Bulgaria won the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time Saturday, while Israel finished second in a final overshadowed by boycotts and protests over Israel’s participation amid the war in Gaza.

Italy Car-Ramming Attack Injures Eight Amid Europe’s Migration Debate
Italy Car-Ramming Attack Injures Eight Amid Europe’s Migration Debate
Sunday, May 17, 2026

Italian authorities say a man deliberately drove a car into a crowd late Saturday in the northern Italian city of Modena, injuring at least eight people — four of them seriously — in the latest violent vehicle attack in a series of similar incidents across Europe.