
By Stefan J. Bos, Chief International Correspondent, Worthy News
BUCHAREST/BUDAPEST (Worthy News) – Romanian prosecutors say they have launched a criminal investigation against Calin Georgescu, the perceived far-right frontrunner in last year’s canceled presidential election, who is seen as an ally of Russia.
Authorities said Georgescu was detained and questioned over several accusations Wednesday, including promoting antisemitism and criminal actions.
His spokesperson said the interrogation came the day he was to officially declare his presidential candidacy in the rescheduled elections in May.
The previous December ballot in which he participated was canceled over alleged Russian interference in favor of Georgescu, a strong critic of the NATO military alliance and Western support for war-torn Ukraine. Moscow denied meddling in the election.
On Wednesday, after questioning Georgescu for several hours, prosecutors said they were formally investigating him on charges of “forming an antisemitic organization, promoting war criminals and fascist organizations, and communicating false information.”
U.S. Presidential adviser Elon Musk condemned the charges. “They just arrested the person who won the most votes in the Romanian presidential election,” Musk said on his social media platform X. “This is messed up.”
US ANGRY
Earlier, other members of U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration criticized Romania for annulling the previous election after it became clear that Georgescu had won the first round.
U.S. Vice President JD Vance said the cancellation meant Romania “does not share American values,” while billionaire Musk called the chief judge of the top court annulling the vote a “tyrant.”
Romanian authorities also said Wednesday they had raided 47 addresses of people and associations connected to Georgescu, who has praised Romania’s 1930s fascist leaders as patriots and martyrs.
Despite the controversies, he remains voters’ top choice in opinion polls ahead of the May rerun, although it remains unclear whether he will be allowed to run.
Among others held by police was Horatiu Potra, a former member of the French Foreign Legion and military contractor in the Democratic Republic of Congo whose security firm provides bodyguards for Georgescu. Prosecutors said a large cache of weapons and hidden cash was found during the raid.
The tensions came a day after Romania’s three opposition far-right parties filed a motion of no confidence in the pro-European coalition government.
The move was likely to fail, but analysts say it may boost the parties’ public profile ahead of a re-run presidential election.
PRESIDENT RESIGNS
Earlier this month, outgoing Romanian President Klaus Iohannis resigned ahead of an impeachment vote sparked by the cancellation of last year’s presidential election.
Opponents had been pushing to suspend him over his decision to remain in office until a new vote in May.
Romania’s top court controversially annulled the December election because of allegations of Russian state meddling that Iohannis had helped raise, observers said.
The centrist, pro-EU leader cited “national security concerns,” but critics and presidential candidates said his actions were undemocratic.
Iohannis was replaced by Senate Speaker Ilie Bolojan, head of the Liberal Party and a ruling coalition member.
He took over as interim president with limited powers until the May election in Romania, a member state of the European Union and the NATO military alliance.
Georgescu, who says he will not give up running for president, has admired both Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Copyright 1999-2025 Worthy News. This article was originally published on Worthy News and was reproduced with permission.
More Worthy News
Pastor Praveen Pagadala, one of India’s most well-known Christian evangelists, has been found dead under alleged suspicious circumstances in the southern state of Andhra Pradesh, Worthy News learned Wednesday. He was 46.
U.S. President Donald J. Trump announced Wednesday he would sign “a historic executive order instituting reciprocal tariffs on countries throughout the world” ranging from 10 percent to 49 percent.
European Central Bank head Christine Lagarde warned Wednesday that U.S. President Donald Trump’s planned tariffs will have a negative impact worldwide, with the damage depending on how far they go, how long they last, and whether they lead to successful negotiations.
The FBI ordered agents to stop discussing Hunter Biden’s laptop just hours after one of its own inadvertently confirmed its authenticity to Twitter, internal messages show. Ahead of The Post’s 2020 reports, the FBI had warned tech giants of a potential Russian disinformation dump resembling the laptop contents. Once the story broke, Facebook execs weighed censorship strategies to align with the expected Biden-Harris administration, according to a congressional investigation.
Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz announced Wednesday that Israel is expanding its Gaza operations after heavy overnight strikes, with troops set to clear terrorists and infrastructure and seize territory for expanded security zones.
At least six nuclear-capable B-2 Spirit stealth bombers have been seen at Camp Thunder Bay on Diego Garcia, a remote U.S. base in the Indian Ocean according to satellite imagery analyzed on Wednesday by the Associated Press.
Russia’s Deputy Foreign Minister issued a strong warning to the United States, cautioning that any military strike on Iran’s nuclear facilities would lead to “catastrophic” consequences for the entire region after President Donald Trump threatened the “bombing the likes they have never seen before.”